This information is not a source of law. We have taken all reasonable care to ensure that it complies with the applicable regulations. However, it should be borne in mind that it concerns typical cases that may occur frequently and may not fully address individual cases. The number and type of documents that the administrationmay request in the course of the proceedings may differ from those given depending on the specific case. If you have any further questions, please contact the competent authority to hear the individual case, read the law yourself or report to our Law Firm.

When can I get a temporary residence permit?

A foreigner wishing to stay in Poland for more than 3 months can apply for a temporary residence permit.

The foreigner submits an application in person, no later than the last day of legal residence in the territory of the Republic of Poland to the governor competent for the place of residence of the alien.

When applying, the alien is obliged to submit fingerprints for the purpose of issuing a residence card.

A temporary residence permit is issued for a maximum of 3 years. However, the period of validity of the authorisation may be shorter if the basis for applying for that authorisation indicates the validity of a shorter stay.

What documents are required?

Depending on the reason for your stay, you will need to submit other documents. More information about the necessary documents can be found here. Each case is different and the Office can call on you to submit different evidence.

The reasons why an alien can obtain a residence permit are:

1. Taking up or continuing to work in Poland;

2. Carrying out a job in a highly qualified profession;

3. Performance of work by an alien delegated by a foreign employer to Poland;

4. Conducting business in Poland;

5. Taking up or continuing to study in Poland;

6. A preparatory course to study undergraduate, master’s or doctoral studies in Polish;

7. Conducting scientific research in Poland;

8. Arrival to the family members of a Polish citizen or a family member of an alien;

9. Being a victim of trafficking in human beings who is in Poland cooperates with the authorities investigating the fight against trafficking in human beings and which has severed contacts with persons suspected of trafficking in human beings;

10. Intention to join a family member in an EU Member State, a Member State of the European Free Trade Agreement (EFTA) or a Swiss Confederation residing in Poland;

11. Being an underage child of an alien who resides in Poland on the basis of a national visa or temporary residence permit if the child was born during the period of validity of that national visa or temporary residence permit;

12. Being a minor child of an alien who is married to a Polish national and holding a temporary residence permit issued to a family member of a Polish national;

13. Other important circumstances, the existence of which will be proven.

However, you always need to submit:

1. Completed in accordance with the instruction applicable to the purpose of stay, the application form for a temporary residence permit.

2. Four current photographs ;

3. A photocopy of a valid travel document (original for inspection) in a particularly justified case where the alien does not have a valid travel document and is not in a way of obtaining it may produce another document confirming his identity.

Documents drawn up in a foreign language must be submitted together with their translation into Polish, made by a sworn translator.

How much does it cost?

Stamp duty for examining the temporary residence permit is PLN 340.

In case of a positive decision, you must pay an additional PLN 50 for the issue of the residence card.